Table of Contents
What is a Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Pakistan?
A Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Pakistan is a five-year undergraduate degree program that trains students to become proficient dental surgeons.
The curriculum combines theoretical knowledge and practical skills in dentistry, including oral anatomy, orthodontics, periodontics, and prosthodontics.
The program is regulated by the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC) and requires students to complete a house job/internship after graduation.
Graduates are equipped to diagnose and treat oral health issues and perform surgical procedures. They can work in private practices, hospitals, or continue their studies with postgraduate specialization. The BDS degree is a stepping stone towards a rewarding career in dentistry in Pakistan.
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery Universities In Pakistan
There are 63 accredited bachelor of dental surgery universities in Pakistan. These include both public sector dental colleges and private dental colleges in Pakistan. You can see the full list on the PMDC website here for public dental colleges and private dental colleges.
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery College in Lahore
These colleges and universities offer bachelor of dental surgery in Lahore.
- De’montmorency College Of Dentistry / Dental Hospital
- Avicenna Dental College
- College of Dentistry, Sharif Medical and Dental College
- Dental College, Akhtar Saeed Medical & Dental College
- Dental College, FMH College of Medicine & Dentistry
- Dental College, Lahore Medical & Dental College
- Dental College, University College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Institute of Dentistry CMH Lahore Medical College
- Rashid Latif Dental College
- Azra Naheed Dental College
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery Degree in Karachi
These colleges and universities offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Karachi.
- Dental College, Dow International Medical College
- Dental Department, Karachi Medical & Dental College
- Dr. Ishratul Ebad Institute of Oral Health Sciences
- Sindh Institute of Oral Health Sciences
- Dow Dental College
- Altamash Institute of Dental Medicine
- Baqai Dental College
- Dental College, Bahria University Medical & Dental College
- Dental College, Sir Syed College of Medical Sciences for Girls
- Dental Section, Jinnah Medical & Dental College
- Liaquat College of Medicine & Dentistry
- Fatima Jinnah Dental College
- Ziauddin Dental College
- Dental Section, Hamdard College of Medicine & Dentistry
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery Degree in Rawalpindi & Islamabad
These are the colleges and universities that offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Rawalpindi and Islamabad.
- Dental Section, Army Medical College, Rawalpindi
- Dental College, Rawal Institute of Health Sciences, Rawalpindi
- Margalla College of Dentistry, Rawalpindi
- Watim Dental College, Rawalpindi
- School of Dentistry, Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University, Islamabad
- Dental College, Islamabad Medical & Dental College, Islamabad
- Foundation University College of Dentistry, Islamabad
- HBS Dental College, Islamabad
- Islamic International Dental College, Islamabad
- Shifa College of Dentistry, Islamabad
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery (BDS) Degree in Faisalabad
These are the colleges and universities that offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Faisalabad.
- Dental Section, Punjab Medical College
- Dental College, University Medical & Dental College
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery (BDS) Degree in Multan
These are the colleges and universities that offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Multan.
- Institute of Dentistry, Nishtar Medical College
- College of Dentistry, Bakhtawar Amin Medical & Dental College
- Dental Section, Multan Medical & Dental College
- CMH Institute of Medical College / CIMS Dental College
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery (BDS) Degree in Gujranwala, Gujrat, and Sialkot
These are the colleges and universities that offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Gujranwala, Gujrat, and Sialkot.
- Islam Dental College, Sialkot
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery (BDS) Degree in Quetta
These are the colleges and universities that offer Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Quetta.
- Dental Section, Bolan Medical College
Bachelor of Dental Surgery Lowest Merit College List
The merit for dental surgery degree, BDS degree can be different for different colleges. Generally, private colleges give admission in Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) even when you have less marks in FSc Pre Medical. However, these private colleges are really expensive and most people in Pakistan cannot afford these dental colleges.
For govt sector / public sector dental colleges, the merit formula is the following:
- Matriculation 10%
- Intermediate 40%
- University/NTS Entry Test Marks 50%
Bachelors Of Dental Surgery Scope in Pakistan
The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is a highly respected degree in Pakistan with broad scope and promising career opportunities. This four-year program, followed by a year of house job, trains students to become proficient dental surgeons.
Read our full blog on BDS Scope in Pakistan.
If you couldn’t make it to MBBS, here is the list of best degrees you can do after FSc Pre Medical.Read Here: Best Degrees after FSc Pre Medical in Pakistan
Bachelor Of Dental Surgery Jobs in Pakistan
A Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree opens up several job prospects in Pakistan. Here are some popular bachelor of dental surgery careers in Pakistan:
- Private Practitioner: Many BDS graduates choose to open their own dental clinics or join existing private practices.
- Dental Surgeon: In government or private hospitals, BDS graduates can work as dental surgeons, performing various dental procedures and surgeries.
- Dental Consultant: They provide expert advice on dental health, often working with healthcare institutions or insurance companies.
- Oral Pathologist: These professionals diagnose diseases related to oral health and may work in research or diagnostic labs.
- Orthodontist: Specializing in correcting teeth and jaw alignment issues, orthodontists often work in private practices or hospitals.
- Pedodontist: They specialize in children’s dentistry, providing oral health care for infants and children through adolescence.
- Dental Public Health Specialist: These professionals work in public health departments, focusing on community dental health, education, and prevention programs.
- Academician/Lecturer: With further qualifications, BDS graduates can take up teaching roles in dental colleges and universities.
- Dental Researcher: In pharmaceutical companies or research institutions, dental researchers work on developing new treatments, techniques, or products in dentistry.
- Forensic Dentist: They use dental records to identify human remains and provide evidence in cases of personal injury.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery Course Fees in Pakistan
The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) course in Pakistan is a significant investment for aspiring dental professionals. The fee structure can vary greatly depending on the institution – whether it’s a government or private university, and the location of the university. Here’s an overview:
Government Institutions: The cost of studying BDS in a government college is relatively more affordable compared to private institutions. The annual tuition fee at government institutions can range from 20,000 PKR to 40,000 PK. However, these colleges have limited seats and the competition for admission is fierce.
Private Institutions: Private dental colleges charge significantly higher fees. The annual tuition fee can range from 600,000 PKR to over 1,000,000 PKR. Some high-end universities may charge up to 2,000,000 PKR per year. These institutions often offer state-of-the-art facilities and resources, along with opportunities for practical experience.
Additional Costs: Apart from the tuition fees, students must also consider additional costs such as hostel fees, examination fees, laboratory charges, and costs of course materials. These extra costs can add a substantial amount to the total expenditure.
Scholarships and Financial Aid: To aid students with financial constraints, many universities offer scholarships and financial aid programs. There are also several government schemes and grants available for deserving and needy students.
Loan Facilities: Some banks in Pakistan provide educational loans to students. These loans can be used to pay for tuition fees and other related expenses.
In conclusion, while the cost of a Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Pakistan can be quite high, especially in private institutions, there are financial assistance options available. Prospective students should thoroughly research all costs and financial aid options before deciding on a college.
Scholarships for Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Pakistan
Securing a scholarship can significantly reduce the financial burden of pursuing a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Pakistan. Here are some scholarship opportunities for BDS students:
1. HEC Need-Based Scholarships: The Higher Education Commission (HEC) of Pakistan offers need-based scholarships to deserving students from low-income families. These scholarships cover tuition fees and provide a monthly stipend.
2. PM’s National Laptop Scheme: Though not a traditional scholarship, this scheme equips talented students with laptops to aid their education.
3. Punjab Educational Endowment Fund (PEEF): PEEF provides scholarships to talented and financially distressed students in Punjab to help them pursue their academic goals.
4. Sindh Endowment Fund Scholarships: These scholarships are for the permanent residents of Sindh studying in recognized institutions.
5. Bait-ul-Mal Scholarships: Pakistan Bait-ul-Mal provides financial assistance to needy, destitute, and orphan students.
6. Frontier Education Foundation (FEF): FEF offers scholarships to students of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
7. Scholarships by Private Institutions: Many private dental colleges offer scholarships based on merit and need. For instance, Aga Khan University offers a Financial Assistance Program for needy students.
8. International Scholarships: Some international organizations and universities also offer scholarships to Pakistani students. These include the British Council, Chevening Scholarships, Commonwealth Scholarships, and more.
9. Scholarships for Women: Several scholarships specifically target female students to promote female education in Pakistan, such as the Begum Bilquis Edhi Female Scholarship.
It’s important to note that each scholarship has its own eligibility criteria and application process. Aspiring BDS students should thoroughly research these opportunities, understand the requirements, and apply well before the deadlines. While the process may seem daunting, the effort can result in significant financial relief and a more accessible path to achieving your dental career goals in Pakistan.
Overseas Bachelor of Dental Surgery for Pakistani Students
If you can afford it, you can go for medical and dental studies overseas. The destination you’ll pick will depend on how much money you have.
Central Asian states like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Russia and Eastern Europe are hot destinations for MBBS, MD, and BDS for Pakistani students.
However, for more affording students, countries like Turkey, Malaysia, New Zealand, and Australia may be better choices for doing Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS).
Here are top choices for Pakistani Students for doing BDS overseas.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Turkey for Pakistani Students
Studying Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Turkey can be an enriching experience for Pakistani students. Turkey offers a unique blend of modern and traditional education, with many universities recognized globally for their high educational standards. Here’s some key information:
Language of Instruction: Some Turkish universities offer BDS courses in English, making it easier for international students. However, some may require a proficiency exam in Turkish or English.
Admission Process: Admission to Turkish universities often requires an entrance examination. Foreign students might have to take the DUS-exam, a central exam held by the university.
Top Universities: Istanbul Technical University, Bilkent University, Middle East Technical University are some of the top colleges for Pakistani students.
Scholarships: Several scholarships are available for Pakistani students pursuing dental studies, which can help ease the financial load.
Application Process: Applying to Turkish universities involves submitting required documents, such as academic transcripts, language proficiency scores, and sometimes, results from entrance exams.
Living in Turkey: Turkey is known for its rich history, diverse culture, and welcoming environment. It offers an excellent quality of life and a vibrant student community.
Remember, it’s essential to thoroughly research and reach out to the universities for complete and accurate information about the course, fees, admission process, eligibility criteria, and deadlines.
Ondokuz Mayıs Üniversitesi Bachelor Of Dental Surgery for Pakistani Students
Ondokuz Mayıs Üniversitesi (OMU), located in Samsun, Turkey, is a well-known institution offering a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program. The course is structured to provide students with comprehensive knowledge and skills in dental surgery.
For Pakistani students considering OMU, the university offers a diverse and inclusive environment. The BDS program is taught in Turkish, so proficiency in the language is required.
The university’s Faculty of Dentistry is equipped with advanced technological infrastructure to provide quality education and foster practical skills. The curriculum is designed to meet international standards, making graduates globally competitive.
Admission to OMU involves an application process where academic transcripts, language proficiency scores, and sometimes entrance exam results are required.
Before deciding on OMU, Pakistani students should research thoroughly about the course, fees, admission process, eligibility criteria, and deadlines.
Cost of Bachelor Degree in Dental Surgery in Malaysia for Pakistani Students
Pursuing a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) in Malaysia can be a rewarding choice for Pakistani students, given the country’s high educational standards and globally recognized universities. Here’s an overview:
Top Universities: Several Malaysian universities offer BDS programs, including the International Medical University (IMU), which awards a BDS degree to students who complete their full five-year dental program. Other notable institutions include the University of Malaya and AIMST University.
Course Duration: The duration of BDS in Malaysia is typically five years, including both theoretical and practical training.
Cost: The cost of a dentistry degree in Malaysia varies. For instance, the bachelor’s degree may range from RM 14,000 to RM 60,000 which is about PKR 850,000 to PKR 36,77,000 annually. Please note that the actual cost may vary greatly depending on factors like your institution for BDS, destination city, scholarships, etc.
Scholarships: There are various scholarships available for Pakistani students studying dental sciences in Malaysia. Check more about the scholarships here.
Admission Process: Admission processes vary by university, but generally require academic transcripts, language proficiency scores, and sometimes entrance exam results.
Living in Malaysia: Malaysia offers a multicultural environment, affordable living, and a high quality of life, making it an attractive study destination for international students.
Before deciding on a university, prospective students should thoroughly research the course, fees, admission process, eligibility criteria, and deadlines for each institution. Consulting with academic advisors or contacting the universities directly can be beneficial.
University Of Adelaide Bachelor of Dental Surgery for Pakistani Students
The University of Adelaide in Australia offers an excellent Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program. The course provides a blend of theory and practical learning, preparing students for a successful career in dentistry.
Pakistani students will need to meet academic requirements and English language proficiency standards for admission.
The university offers a multicultural environment and support services for international students. However, the cost of studying and living in Australia can be relatively high. Scholarships may be available to help offset these costs. Always research thoroughly to understand the course, fees, and admission process.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery Auckland for Pakistani Students
The University of Auckland in New Zealand offers a comprehensive Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program.
This five-year degree provides a mix of theoretical knowledge and practical experience. Pakistani students applying will need to meet academic prerequisites and English language proficiency requirements.
The university provides a diverse and inclusive environment for international students. However, studying in New Zealand can be expensive, so it’s important to plan for tuition and living costs.
Scholarships may be available to help manage these costs. Thorough research about the course, fees, and admission process is advised.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery Equivalence Certificate in Pakistan
In Pakistan, an Equivalence Certificate is required for students who have completed their Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) degree from a foreign university. The Pakistan Medical Commission National Equivalence Board conducts NEB exams to give equivalence certificates for MBBS and BDS in Pakistan. You can access the syllabus for NEB BDS exams here.
This certificate is issued by the Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC), now known as the Pakistan Medical Commission (PMC), and verifies that the foreign BDS degree is equivalent to the BDS degree offered in Pakistan.
The process involves submitting an application along with required documents, including academic transcripts and the BDS degree. This certificate is crucial for practicing dentistry in Pakistan or for pursuing further studies in Pakistani institutions.
What does bachelor of dental surgery do?
Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) graduates can diagnose and treat dental issues, perform surgeries, and provide oral health education.
They may establish private practices, work in hospitals, or contribute to public health programs. Some pursue careers in academia, research, or specialized fields like orthodontics and pedodontics.